Gathering the resources you need to fund your education in the United States can be one of the most challenging parts of the admissions process.

Financial help is available—but securing it takes hard work and perseverance.


Scholarships should be your first choice when looking for financial aid. These are competitive awards that do not require repayment or a work commitment. There are a number of institutions and programs that offer scholarships specifically for international students, including IU.

Learn more about scholarships »

Start by researching funding opportunities in your home country. To find out about opportunities for funding from your home country, contact an overseas advising center.

Fellowships and Assistantships

If you are a graduate student, you may be able to secure a fellowship or assistantship through your department.

A graduate student doing lab work during her assistantship

An assistantship is a paid position that requires you to teach or conduct research, while a fellowship is an award of money that may or may not come with a work requirement. Contact your school or department for details.

Student Loans

As an international student, you are not eligible for student loans through the U.S. federal government. However, you still have options for borrowing money for school. Learn about loans »

Be open minded about your funding search, and look beyond IU. We have identified some places to search for scholarships and grants from external sources. Start searching »

Public Charge Information

“Public charge” has been a part of immigration law for over 100 years. A public charge is an individual who depends primarily on the US government for financial support and livelihood. Becoming a public charge or being likely to become a public charge may prevent an individual from entering the US or adjusting their status to permanent residency (green card).  If you have further questions, or need additional information about what qualifies an individual as a public charge and what the immigration implications would be for your specific circumstance, please call us at 812-855-9086 and schedule an appointment with an international student advisor.