F-1 Students

As an F-1 student, you may be eligible to work both on and off campus. However, you need to get authorization before beginning work in many cases. You must also abide by the rules and restrictions that apply to your employment. Failing to do so can jeopardize your immigration status.

Employment Options for F-1 Students
On-Campus Employment

On-campus employment is a job on campus where you are paid by IU. As an F-1 student, you may be employed in a student hourly position or hold an assistantship. Learn more »

Students who wish to work on any IU campus other than Bloomington should send an email to the Office of International Services (ois@iu.edu) or call 812-855-9086 to make an appointment with an international student advisor to discuss this in advance of accepting any employment.

Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is work integral to your program, done for an off-campus employer in your field of study while you are enrolled as a student. Learn more »

Optional Practical Training

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is work done for an off-campus employer in your field of study, usually following graduation. This authorization is granted by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Learn more »

Severe Economic Hardship

You can be granted authorization for off-campus employment by USCIS if you encounter severe, unexpected economic hardship. Learn more »