J-1 Students

As a J-1 student, you are required to have authorization for any type of employment that you wish to undertake. To remain in status, it is extremely important that you follow the federal regulations about employment.

In many cases, you must contact the Office of International Services (OIS) in Poplars 221 to get work authorization before beginning employment. Never work without getting authorization first.

Please note that this information is intended for J-1 students on the Indiana University J program. If you are a J-1 student but your DS-2019 is issued by an agency or institution other than Indiana University, you must contact your program sponsor to gain authorization for on-campus work or for Academic Training.

Employment Options for J-1 Students
On-Campus Employment

On-campus employment is a job on the IU campus where you are paid by IU. As a J-1 student, you may be employed in a student hourly position or hold an assistantship. Learn more »

Academic Training

Academic Training is practical work experience that is integral to your academic program, such as an internship or fieldwork, and can be done before or after completion of studies. Learn more »

Severe Economic Hardship

You can be granted authorization for off-campus employment by OIS if you encounter severe, unexpected economic hardship. Learn more »