J-1 Students

On-Campus Employment

On-campus employment refers to any job you perform on campus where you are paid by Indiana University. As an international student, you may be employed in a student hourly position or hold an assistantship. 

Exceptions to the "paid by IU" rule exist for businesses that operate in the Indiana Memorial Union, including Burger King. Contact the Office of International Services (OIS) before you accept any on-campus employment not paid by IU.

If you wish to work on any IU campus other than Bloomington, call 812-855-9086 to make an appointment with an international student advisor to discuss this before accepting any employment.

How Do I Get Authorization to Work On Campus?

If you are on an IU DS-2019, you will receive an email message from ois@iu.edu at the beginning of the fall semester providing you with your work authorization. The email message will indicate how long the authorization is valid. You will need to keep that email message as evidence of your authorization.

If you begin your program of study in the spring semester or summer session, you will receive your email message after you attend the orientation program.

If your DS-2019 is not issued through IU, you must talk with your program sponsor to find out if you can apply for on-campus work.

What are the Rules i must follow to be legally employed?

As an international student, you must meet certain conditions so that you can maintain your status and be employed legally. You must:

  • Stay enrolled as a full-time student
  • Work no more than 20 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters
  • Work full time only during official university breaks (summer break, winter break, and spring break)

Your 20-hour weekly maximum is a combined total for any and all on-campus jobs you have. In other words, you may work one job at 15 hours per week plus one job at 5 hours per week, but you may not work one job at 15 hours a week plus one job at 10 hours per week (as this would equal 25 hours per week total). If you wish to work more than 20 hours and the work is in your major field of study and is an integral/critical part of your academic program, please see Academic Training.