International students in F and J status are required to enroll in the IU International Plan. It is important you do not purchase health insurance coverage from another company. Limited exemptions to the policy apply for students in specific categories.
- Graduate students with Assistantships or Fellowships who are enrolled on a different IU health insurance plan
- Sponsored students whose sending organization provides approved health insurance as stated in their financial guarantee or contract
- J-1 students in an official exchange program whose sending organization either provides health insurance or funding to purchase health insurance that meets J-1 requirements
- Students enrolled in a health insurance plan provided by their spouse's or parent's U.S.-based employer
- Students working on CPT or OPT who receive health insurance through their U.S.-based employer