There are requirements you will need to fulfill before you can open an account.
What to bring with you
When you go to the bank to open an account, bring the following items:
- Your unexpired passport
- Your I-20, DS-2019, or I-797 approval notice
- Any secondary form of identification you have, such as your student ID or a credit card
Customer identification programs
U.S. financial institutions are required to verify the identity of every person who opens a bank account in order to prevent fraud like money laundering.
Banks must obtain the following information from you before allowing you to open an account:
- Your name
- Your date of birth
- Your street address (cannot use a P.O. Box)
- An identification number, such as:
- Social Security number (SSN)
- Passport number and country of issuance
- Alien identification card number
- Number and country of issuance of any other government-issued document proving nationality or residence and bearing a photograph or similar safeguard
Each bank has its own customer identification program and may ask for documentation in addition to what we have listed.