Visas for Faculty, Staff & Visitors

We are here to help you, both before you come to IU and throughout your stay.

More than 1,100 international faculty, staff, and visitors come to IU each year. They share their knowledge, research, teach, work on projects, and more. Some stay for short visits, and others stay for extended periods. The Office of International Services (OIS) provides guidance for all international scholars, and we look forward to assisting you.

We will help you get to Indiana University and complete important paperwork on time. We will also help you make the most of your time here by adjusting to American culture, participating in events and programs, and connecting with the community. You can always contact us to ask questions or to get assistance. Our assistance begins with your visa.

J-1 Exchange Visitors

J-1 Exchange Visitor status may be used for professors and researchers (who may stay up to five years), specialists (who may stay up to one year), short-term scholars (who stay six months or less), and full-time students (who stay at least three weeks).

J-1 Student Interns

J-1 Intern status is for students pursuing a degree in the home country that requires an internship in order to complete the degree program. J-1 student interns may stay up to one year.

H-1B Specialty Workers

H-1B status is for positions that require a bachelor’s degree or higher in a specialty field. H-1B status can be granted for up to six years.

B1/B2 or WB/WT Visitors

Visitor status is for people who are coming to the United States for short-term business reasons or as tourists.