J-1 Students

Applying for a J-1 visa

You will need to apply for a J-1 visa stamp after you receive your Form DS-2019 from us. There are four primary steps:

  1. Pay your SEVIS fee
  2. Schedule your visa appointment
  3. Get your documentation ready
  4. Prepare for your interview

See the steps to apply for a J-1 visa

Already have a current immigration status?

I already have J-1 status

If you are already studying at a school in the U.S. and you have J-1 status, then you need to apply for a SEVIS transfer. We will need to work with your current school to move your record to IU.

Transfer your SEVIS record to IU

I already have a different immigration status

If you already have an immigration status that is not J-1 but you want to change your status to J-1, we can help you. The process takes several months for the U.S. government to process, so you should start as early as possible.

Change to J-1 status