J-1 Students

Employment options for J-1 students

As a J-1 student, you are required to have authorization for any type of employment that you wish to undertake. To remain in status, it is extremely important that you follow the federal regulations about employment.

In many cases, you must contact our office to get work authorization before beginning employment. Never work without getting authorization first.

On-campus employment

On-campus employment is a job on the IU campus where you are paid by IU. As a J-1 student, you may be employed in a student hourly position or hold an assistantship.

Learn about on-campus employment

Academic Training

Academic Training is practical work experience that is integral to your academic program, such as an internship or fieldwork, and can be done before or after completion of studies.

Learn about Academic Training

Severe economic hardship

You can be granted authorization for off-campus employment by OIS if you encounter severe, unexpected economic hardship.

Learn about severe economic hardship and employment