SEVIS Transfer from IU

Transfer your SEVIS record from IU to a new institution

If you are planning to leave IU to study at a different institution in the United States, you will need to transfer your SEVIS record to your new college or university. This allows you to keep your unique SEVIS ID number, which is critical for maintaining your legal status in the United States.

To have your SEVIS record released, you will need to request the transfer via Atlas. You will need to take the following steps:

  1. Log in to Atlas.
  2. On the left side of the page, click SEVIS Transfer.
  3. Complete the SEVIS Transfer Out form. Pay special attention to the date you are requesting that OIS release your SEVIS record to your new institution. As of that date, your SEVIS record will belong to your new school.
  4. To submit the SEVIS Transfer Out form, you need to upload a copy of your admission letter to the new school.

Although you may be applying to multiple institutions, Indiana University may only transfer your SEVIS record to one institution.