U.S. immigration regulations can be confusing—but we are here to help! OIS closely monitors the changing immigration regulations. We want to make sure you understand your responsibilities and have a successful college experience at Indiana University.
Recently, the U.S. government has made it extremely difficult for us to help students when they violate their immigration status. Decisions that may seem small could lead to a violation and termination of your SEVIS record, which would have a life altering impact on your ability to stay in the United States.
You could lose your immigration status for simple things, such as:
- Taking too many online courses
- Taking classes at another university while at IU
- Finishing your program of study in the summer with the wrong enrollments
- Finishing your studies with an internship
- Enrolling less than full time—even if you just drop a class or drop below full time for a short period
It’s extremely important that you talk with us before making these types of decisions. And don’t take immigration advice from your friends. The situation that you have might not be the same—even if it seems like it is.
We’re here for you. If you have any questions, make an appointment with an advisor or come in for Quick Question Advising.