Obtaining a Visa

How to get a J-1 visa

If you are not currently in the United States, you need to apply for and receive your J-1 visa before you can begin your program at Indiana University. (Canadian citizens are exceptions.) If you are already in the United States in J-1 status, you need to transfer your J-1 SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) record to IU.

If you have questions at any time, contact us and we will help you.

If you are a Canadian citizen with a valid passport, you do not need to apply for a visa stamp. However, you need to pay the SEVIS fee before entering the United States.