Visitor Visas

Short-term visits to IU

Many international visitors come to Indiana University for short-term visits. They might give lectures, consult on the university’s activities, or attend or speak at workshops or conferences.

Short-term visitors, including those coming from an IU partner institution, may enter the United States in business or tourist status if the business activities are strictly limited to consulting, negotiating contracts or partnership agreements, attending scientific or educational conferences or seminars, attending short-term training, or undertaking independent research.

Visitor visa status is generally not used for:

  • Employment (so IU cannot provide compensation except for limited honoraria or reimbursements [see section below])
  • Any type of student activity
  • Any type of educational and/or cultural exchange activity (including faculty, staff, and student exchanges)
  • Stays longer than 90 days for WB or WT or 6 months for B1/B2 visas

If you have questions about short-term visits, please contact us.

B-1 and B-2 status

The B-visa category is used for visitors entering the U.S to engage in business or professional activities (B-1) related to their employment or business abroad, or for the purpose of tourism (B-2).

You can apply for a B-1 or B-2 visa at a U.S. consulate. The expiration date of your B-1 or B-2 status will be stamped in your passport upon entry to the United States and will be available on your I-94.

WB and WT status

You can receive WB (Waived Business) or WT (Waived Tourist) status if you are from a country that participates in the Visa Waiver Program. If you qualify for WB or WT status, you do not need to get a visa stamp in your passport to enter the United States. You will receive an entry stamp in your passport at the port of entry and have I-94 documentation regarding your status.

Visitors in WB and WT status may not change to a different visa status or extend their stay in the United States.

Learn about the Visa Waiver Program