As an F-1 student, you have several options after completing your program and graduating from IU.
As you get ready to complete your program of study, you can:
- Apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT) so you can work in the United States. Applications for OPT can be submitted before your completion date and must be received by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) no later than 60 days after the completion of the academic program requirements.
- Apply for a change of status if applicable. USCIS must receive the application before the end of your grace period.
- Transfer to a new school. You must request a “Transfer Out” of your SEVIS record via Atlas. You will need to have your transfer out approved by the Office of International Services before the end of your grace period.
- Start a new program of study at Indiana University. You must be fully admitted, and apply for and receive a new I-20 from the Office of International Services before the end of the grace period. Updated financial documentation will be required. You can make your request for a New Degree Program via Atlas.
- Leave the United States before the end of the grace period. Please complete an Exit Form via Atlas when your departure plans are finalized.