J-1 Students

If you have J-1 status, at least one-third of your funding for tuition and living expenses must come from a scholarship, fellowship, or other funding program from an external source, like Indiana University, your home government, or a corporate sponsor.

If your DS-2019 was issued by IU Bloomington, you can work on campus for up to 20 hours each week. However, there are restrictions. Visit the J-1 Employment section for more information.

If you want to work on any other IU campus, call us at 812-855-9086 to make an appointment with an international student advisor to discuss your options.

You can gain permission to work off campus if the job is in your field of study and integral to your academic objective. However, you must first get authorization from OIS.

If your DS-2019 was not issued by IU, you must contact your program sponsor before beginning employment.

Learn more about off-campus employment options


If you have a spouse or unmarried children under the age of 21, they can enter the United States in J-2 status. They can study full time and apply for work authorization from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Learn more about dependents


As a J-1 student, you have several options afer finishing your studies. However, you may be required to fulfill a two-year residency requirement after you complete your studies and any Academic Training.

Learn more about your post-completion choices


Maintaining your status

You will need to pay close attention to all rules and regulations throughout your time at IU. If you do not, you could fall out of status. When that happens, you can find yourself facing serious consequences—and may even be forced to leave the United States.

But do not worry! OIS is here to help you stay in status. Learn the basics.

Description of the video:

Hi, I'm Abby, an advisor in the OIS. And I'm going to discuss your I-94 document. Your I-94 is a document issued by the US government at your entry into the United States. Each time you leave the US, your I-94 expires. And every time you return to the US, you receive a new I-94 record. The I-94 is your receipt for your immigration status inside the US. This is the status the US government gave you upon entry and is reflected on your I-94 document. You should check your I-94 right after each entry into the US to ensure it says your current immigration status and your duration of admission is D/S, or duration of status. You should also upload your I-94 into Atlas after each entry into the US.