Travel Outside the U.S.

Get a travel signature on your I-20

Before you leave the country, make sure you have a valid travel signature from an OIS advisor on page 2 of your I-20. You will not be able to re-enter the United States without one.

To get a travel signature, make a request through Atlas at least two weeks before you plan to travel.

Travel signatures are valid for one calendar year, or until the completion of your program, whichever comes first.

Description of the video:

Hi, I am José Mendez from the the Office of International Services. Today, I will be talking about travel signatures, the signature on page two of a continued-attendance I-20 is required by the US government to request entry into the US in F1 status. If you arrive to the US to start your program at IU, your initial or transfer-pending I-20 will not have a travel signature on page two. While you are enrolled in your program of study, the travel signature is valid for one year from the date it is signed, or the date you complete your program of study, whichever date comes first.

You need a travel signature even if you are just traveling across the border into Canada or Mexico. Read more below.

Make sure your I-20 reflects your current situation

If there have been any changes in your situation (for example, if you have changed your major, degree level, or source(s) of financial support) that are not indicated on your current I-20, you will need to get a new one.

For changes in major or source(s) of funding, request a travel signature through Atlas and note the changes in the “Notes” section.

For a change in degree level, you will need to complete the New Degree program request in Atlas. However, you do not need to request a travel signature. When your new degree program request is approved, a new I-20 will be printed and will be valid for travel.

Timing can be critical for all of these changes, so start the process early.

The following require your immediate attention:

  • Degree level changes
  • Graduate major changes
  • I-20 expiration

Making these changes can be very complicated. Please call 812-855-9086 to make an appointment with an advisor to discuss your plans before you begin the process.

In most cases, updated financial documentation will be required to process your new I-20.