Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training for F-1 students

If you are an F-1 student and have a practical training opportunity that will give you practical experience in your field of study before you graduate, such as an internship, you may be eligible for a type of authorization called Curricular Practical Training (CPT).

CPT authorization requires your practical experience to be an integral part of your curriculum. The practical training opportunity needs to fulfill a requirement for a course you are registered in, such as a required practicum or an internship credit, or help you with a research project, such as a thesis, dissertation, or other opportunities that are integral to your curriculum such as performance, for the term(s) in which the experience will occur. You will be required to enroll in a corresponding course during the period of time that you will work, or in the term immediately following the practical experience.

You are required to have authorization from the Office of International Services (OIS) before you begin. Working without proper authorization is a violation of your legal status that will require the termination of your Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) record.

Am I eligible for Curricular Practical Training authorization?

You are required to meet all of the following criteria to be eligible for CPT authorization:

  • You are a full-time student for at least one full academic year.
  • You have F-1 status.
  • You have an offer letter outlining the training opportunity in your major field of study.
  • You have registered for an appropriate course that covers the duration of the training that you seek. Which course you are required to register for depends on what CPT option you pursue.

The U.S. government has not updated the regulations related to Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT) due to COVID-19.


The U.S. government requires you to be in-person in the U.S. for 30 weeks of classroom instruction before you are eligible. Only weeks that you have been in the United States count towards the 30-week requirement. Here are some examples to make it more clear:

  • If you arrived in the U.S. on August 12, 2022, and enrolled in classes that met August 23, 2022-December 16, 2022, you have 16 weeks of instruction. Note that the time you were in the U.S. before classes started do not count. To be eligible for CPT you would need to complete at least another 14 weeks of instruction (13 week courses would not be enough).
  • If you were enrolled in classes that met August 23, 2022-December 16, 2022, but participated online until you arrived in the U.S. on September 9, 2022, you have accumulated only 14 weeks of instruction. Note that the time you were enrolled in class outside the U.S. does not count. To be eligible for CPT in summer 2023, you would also need to complete 16 weeks of classroom instruction in spring 2023.

What kind of practical training qualifies for CPT?

Practical training that qualifies for CPT has to meet one of the following criteria:

  • The training fulfills an optional or required internship or practicum in your academic program. Registration in an internship or practicum course is required.
  • The training fulfills the course requirements of a standard course or independent study course in your academic program. Registration in the standard course or independent study course is required.
  • In order to be eligible for CPT, an experience must be determined to be an integral part of your academic curriculum. CPT cannot be used solely for you to improve your chances of getting a job after graduation. In order to grant CPT authorization, OIS needs to be able to document that the practical experience and its duties are integral to your academic curriculum.
  • Graduate students only: The training benefits your thesis/dissertation/final project in a material and substantial way. Registration for thesis/dissertation/final project credit(s) is required.
  • Doctoral students only: The training enables you to fulfill a specific deficit in your overall program or provides you an opportunity to have an experience that is an integral part of the Ph.D. program that is otherwise not available to you. Registration in dissertation research or G901 credit(s) is required.

How do I get authorization for Curricular Practical Training?

To apply for CPT authorization, all students except Performer Diploma (PD), Artist Diploma (AD), and Master of Music (MM) students need to complete these steps:

In order to be granted authorization for practical training, your advisor has to certify that you will register in an appropriate course/independent study, internship credit(s), or dissertation credit(s). Speak with your academic advisor to determine your options for a CPT-appropriate course. If your advisor has questions, please have them contact OIS for assistance.

Additionally, OIS needs to receive confirmation from your academic advisor through the e-form process the course in which you are registered so that OIS can process your CPT request. Your academic advisor will be asked to provide information about how the practical training that you plan participate in will be integral to your curriculum and fulfill requirements of your program of study.

You have to provide OIS with an offer letter for your practical training (on company letterhead) from your prospective employer. Please share a copy of the offer letter with your academic advisor. Please circle the following before submitting:

  • The specific start date with the phrase "or date of authorization"
    • For example: "The candidate will begin the training opportunity on October 1, 2022, or date of authorization, whichever is later."
  • The specific end date for training
  • The number of hours you will train per week. It will not be sufficient for the letter to state “part time” or “full time.” The number of hours per week has to be provided.
  • The physical location (street address, city, state, and zip code) of the internship provider location where the experience is taking place. If the experience is taking place remotely, the address of the internship provider location with which the training is associated is needed. In all cases, please note that P.O. boxes are not acceptable.
  • A description, as detailed as possible, of the duties entailed in your training

Students need to register for a CPT-appropriate course for each semester or summer session for which they seek authorization. CPT authorization cannot be based upon “incompletes” or other registrations from previous semesters.

If you seek practical training for the summer, you need to be enrolled in a CPT-appropriate course.

  • If your proposed CPT end date falls on or before the last day of the final summer term, you may enroll in a summer CPT-appropriate course that ends on the last day of the final summer term (end of the third 4 weeks, end of the second 6 weeks, end of the second 8 weeks, end of the 12 weeks).
  • If your proposed CPT end date is after the last day of the final summer term, you will need to register in the fall term (your program may require registration in the summer as well—please discuss that with your academic advisor).

You need to submit your completed application for CPT in Atlas at least two weeks before the CPT experience is expected to begin. A completed CPT application means that all of the required CPT forms have been submitted by you, completed by your academic advisor (required in most cases) and received by our office.

Please apply earlier when the university is closed for the winter break, at the beginning of a semester, or at the end of a semester, because those are very busy times in the office. Failure to do so can result in delays in processing, during which time you are not eligible to begin your practical training/internship.

CPT authorization for PD, AD, and MM music students

To apply for CPT authorization, PD, AD, and MM music students need to complete the following steps:

  1. Submit the e-form for CPT through Atlas.
  2. Register for a performance course for the semester or summer session in which you would like to work.
  3. Upload an offer letter for a gig, lessons, or performances.

How long does CPT authorization last?

CPT authorization is granted on a semester-by-semester basis only.

If you wish to continue your practical training beyond the semester for which you’ve been authorized, you need to submit a CPT extension and register in the appropriate course for the option you choose.

Do this as soon as you register for the next semester so OIS will have time to process your application.