Visa options

International faculty, staff, and visitors who come to Indiana University have several nonimmigrant visa options. The appropriate visa type will depend on the nature and purpose of the visit.

We know it may be confusing to know which visa type is most appropriate.

Contact us for help

A visa is a stamp in your passport that allows you to request permission to enter the United States. Your status is your immigration status. The I-94 Arrival/Departure Record indicates your current status in the United States, which may be different from your visa type. You need to maintain your visa and I-94 Arrival/Departure Record throughout your time here in order to stay in the United States—and we will help you do that.

For individuals coming to IU through an OVPIA-approved partnership agreement

Where there is an official agreement in place between institutions for the specific purpose of educational and cultural exchange, a J-1 visa is almost always required. However, in some limited circumstances the nature and purpose of the visit to IU may be consistent with the B1/B2 visitor visa or the Visa Waiver Program.

Learn more about partnerships