Permanent residence based on marriage

If you marry a U.S. citizen, you may be eligible to apply to become a permanent resident and get a green card.

You will apply to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. You may prepare your application before you get married, but you must provide proof of your marriage as part of the application process.

How to apply

The application for permanent residence based on marriage has many components. This application is a self-petition. OIS can provide general information to you about the process.

Learn how to apply