Permanent Residence

Live and work in the U.S. permanently

If you want to live and work in the United States permanently, you may be eligible for permanent resident status. Permanent residents receive a permit that enables them to remain in the United States indefinitely. This permit is commonly referred to as the “green card.”

Apply for permanent residence

There are several paths to permanent residence. We provide guidance to employees and departments regarding employment-based permanent residence.


USCIS has temporarily suspended in-person services at field offices through May 4, 2020  to help slow the spread of COVID-19. This includes I-485 interviews for applicants adjusting to permanent resident status.

Per guidance provided from the IU Office of the Vice President and General Counsel, individuals who have an I-797 receipt notice, documenting that the I-485 petition to adjust to permanent resident status has been filed, can remain in the US until the I-485 petition is adjudicated.

Conditions of permanent residence

Permanent residents do not have all of the rights of U.S. citizens. For example, they cannot vote in most elections and do not qualify for some types of federal aid.

There are some conditions after you become a permanent resident. If you will be outside of the United States for more than 365 straight days you will need to apply for authorization before your departure. Being outside of the United States for extended periods may affect your permanent resident status. Learn more about absences from the United States.

Permanent residence petition fee

In order for the university to pursue permanent residence on behalf of an IU employee, the hiring department must agree to and confirm acceptance of the responsibility to pay fees associated with the case. We charge the following fees to the hiring department.


Special handling labor certification$2,000
Outstanding professor or researcher$2,750

The Office of the Vice President and General Counsel files some permanent residence petitions. See their website for more information on current rates.