Two-Year Home Residency Requirement (212(e))

Residency requirements for J-1 scholars

Some J-1 exchange visitors may be subject to a two-year home-country physical presence requirement.

If your DS-2019 or visa stamp indicates that you are subject to the requirement, you will be required to return to your home country for at least two years at the end of your exchange visitor program to share the research and cultural knowledge you gained. If you are subject to this requirement, you cannot pursue H-1B, L, K, or permanent resident status until you complete the requirement.

This requirement is different from the 12-month and 24-month bars on re-entering the United States as a J-1 professor or research scholar. Learn more about the bars.