J-2 Dependents

Information for J-2 dependents

Many J-1 exchange visitors come to the United States with their families. The J-2 visa is for a dependent spouse or an unmarried child who is under the age of 21. J-2 status enables dependents to stay in the United States during the J-1 visitor’s program.

J-1 visitors submit information about J-2 dependents during the J-1 application process.

OIS is here to help you

Sometimes a different visa status is more appropriate than the J-2. For example, a dependent may be eligible for other visas if the visit will be brief. A dependent child over the age of 21 is not eligible for J-2 status. The J-1 visitor can consult with us about the best option for his or her dependents.