Assignments Abroad

Preserve your U.S. residence with Form N-470

Form N-470 enables you to preserve your residence for citizenship purposes if you leave the United States for more than one year. Your time abroad will count toward your residency requirement.

Only certain types of work will qualify you for N-470 approval. One of those types of work is scientific research for an American institution of research, including Indiana University.

Be sure to submit Form N-470 before you leave on your trip abroad.

Submit Form N-470


In most cases, you must be physically present and residing in the United States without traveling abroad at all for at least one year after you become a legal permanent resident to file Form N-470.