Complete Withdrawal

Withdrawing from your classes

If you need to withdraw from all classes, you must first come to OIS to speak with an advisor. OIS is the only office on campus that can process a total withdrawal form for you.

Withdrawing for medical reasons

If you need to withdraw from classes due to a medical reason, you will need to provide us with medical documentation from a U.S. licensed medical doctor, psychiatrist, doctor of osteopathy, licensed psychologist, or clinical psychologist.

To get the appropriate documentation, log in to Atlas and print out the “Reduced Course Load for Medical Reasons” form, which you can then submit to your U.S. doctor. We will use this information to keep your SEVIS record active while you are away from classes.

You may also be able to use this documentation to request a fee appeal from the Office of the Bursar. For more information on a bursar fee appeal please visit the Office of the Bursar.

Withdrawing for non-medical reasons

If your withdrawal from classes is not based on a medical reason, OIS will terminate your SEVIS record for the reason of "Early Authorized Withdrawal." You will need to depart from the United States within 15 days from the date of withdrawal.

You will also need to contact our office at least four months before you are ready to return. Your previous I-20 will no longer be valid and you will need to request a new one from OIS. Send us an email at with your name, university ID number, and the semester that you plan to resume your studies. You will be asked to provide us with updated information, including your passport identity page and financial documentation.

You must vacate your residence hall within 48 hours of the date that your withdrawal slip is submitted to the Office of the Registrar.