SEVIS Transfer from IU

Transfer your SEVIS record from IU to a new program sponsor

Transferring your J-1 program sponsorship is possible. This can occur when you are currently enrolled as a student at Indiana University in J-1 status and plan to enroll at another university, or if you are already enrolled at Indiana University under the IU sponsorship and wish to have your J-1 sponsorship transferred to another Exchange Visitor program (IIE, ACTR, etc.). When the transfer process is completed, Indiana University is no longer your program sponsor.

To request the release of your SEVIS record, you will need to request the transfer in writing using the Atlas system. To perform this action, you will need to take the following steps:

  1. Log in to Atlas.
  2. On the left side of the page, click SEVIS Transfer Out.
  3. Complete this e-form. Pay special attention to the date you are requesting that OIS release your SEVIS record to your new program sponsor. As of that date, your SEVIS record will belong to your new program.
  4. Before you can complete the e-form, you will be prompted to provide OIS with a copy of a letter or memo stating that you have been admitted to your new institution or program.

Although you may be applying to multiple institutions, Indiana University may only transfer your SEVIS record to one institution.