Paying taxes in the United States

Many international scholars, workers, and students have to file a tax report (called a tax return) with the federal government each year. It is important to understand what you must do to protect your immigration status.

You will likely need to file a state tax return as well, after you have filed your federal return.

I didn't make any money, do I still have to file?

Even if you do not have income, most international students and scholars need to file Form 8843 each year to comply with immigration laws.

Learn more