Visas for Students

What is J-1 Status?

J-1 status is primarily for exchange students. If you are participating in an exchange program and will be attending IU for a set time period (typically a semester or an academic year), you are an exchange student. You may also be eligible for J-1 status if you get at least one-third of your funding from a scholarship, fellowship, or an assistantship from a non-family or personal source, such as Indiana University, the Fulbright Program, your home government, or a corporate sponsor.

If you attend IU in J-1 status, you may be subject to a two-year home residency requirement after you complete your program. While you are here, your spouse and other dependents are free to study full or part time and to apply for work authorization.

Learn more about J-1 status