F-1 Students

Employment options for F-1 students

As an F-1 student, you may be eligible to work both on and off campus. However, in many cases, you need to get authorization before beginning work. You must also follow the rules that apply to your employment so you do not jeopardize your immigration status.

On-campus employment

On-campus employment is when you have a job on campus and are paid by IU. As an F-1 student, you may be employed in a student hourly position or hold an assistantship.

You can work on campus up to 20 hours per week during fall and spring semesters (20 hours combined for all jobs). You cannot work more than 20 hours unless our office authorizes it. During Thanksgiving, winter, spring, and summer breaks you can work more than 20 hours.

If you want to work on another IU campus (other than Bloomington), you should email the Office of International Services at ois@iu.edu or call 812-855-9086 and make an appointment with an international student advisor before you accept any employment.

Curricular Practical Training

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is work integral to your program that you do for an off-campus employer in your field of study while you are enrolled as a student. CPT may also be used when you want to work on campus more than 20 hours per week during the fall and spring semesters.

Learn more about Curricular Practical Training