Working in the United States

You may want to work while you are in the United States—either to gain experience in your field of study, or simply to earn some money.

When and where you may work depends on your immigration status and where you are in your academic program.

F-1 students need authorization for most categories of work. J-1 students need authorization for any type of employment.

How do I find a job?

IU has several resources to help you find a job—on or off campus:

  • Job fairs—The Career Development Center (CDC) and other offices sponsor job fairs at various times during the year.
  • Classified ads—The Indiana Daily Student (IDS) newspaper lists jobs in its classified section. Look for hourly, on-campus jobs (unless you qualify for off-campus employment).
  • Academic departments—Many IU departments and offices fill their open positions directly (rather than listing their job opportunities with the CDC). Contact your academic unit and professors for possible job openings.
  • University employers—You can contact different offices at IU that employ many students to ask if they have openings. Some potential on-campus employers include:

Employment options for F-1 students

If you are an F-1 student, there are four categories of employment available to you:

Each type of employment has restrictions and limitations. Learn about your responsibilities, and contact an OIS advisor if you have questions.