Academic Training

Academic Training for J-1 students

As a J-1 student, you may be able to receive authorization for certain opportunities - paid or unpaid - in your field of study (for example, internships, practica, or fieldwork).

Academic Training needs to be an integral part of your overall academic goals. It may be done part time or full time, before or immediately after you graduate.

When should I apply for Academic Training authorization?

You need to apply for and receive Academic Training authorization before you begin your opportunity. If you have completed a program of study, Academic Training needs to be granted no later than the end of your 30-day grace period.

This means you need to apply for Academic Training authorization at least two weeks before you need to begin, and no later than two weeks after completing your program.