If you already have a health insurance plan that is equivalent to or better than the IU Plan, you may submit a waiver.
IU’s minimum coverage requirements exceed those set forth by the U.S. Department of State, ensuring you remain healthy and safe in the U.S. To waive the IU Plan, your policy must provide the following coverage:
- Maximum $2,000 Out-of-Pocket expense
- Covers all Pre-existing Conditions with no waiting period
- $100,000 for each Sickness/Illness, including maternity/pregnancy care
- $100,000 for each Accident/Injury
- $50,000 for Medical Evacuation
- $25,000 for Repatriation
- $500 Deductible or less
Your policy must become effective by no later than the first day of classes every semester. For the fall, your policy must provide coverage until December 31. For the spring/summer, you must have coverage until July 31.
Your policy must become effective on the day you enter the U.S., and you must maintain continuous health insurance coverage for the duration of your J program or until you leave the U.S.
If your dependents have coverage under the same policy, submit their information with your waiver.