J-1 Students

Learn about J-1 status

If you have received a DS-2019 from IU, you should apply for a J-1 visa. This is a nonimmigrant status primarily for students coming to the United States as exchange visitors. If you are participating in an exchange program and will be attending IU for a set time period (typically a semester or an academic year) you are an exchange visitor.

J-1 visa basics

If you have J-1 status, at least one-third of your funding for tuition and living expenses must come from a scholarship, fellowship, or other funding program from an external source, like Indiana University, your home government, or a corporate sponsor.

If your DS-2019 was issued by IU Bloomington, you can work on campus for up to 20 hours each week. However, there are restrictions. Visit the J-1 Employment section for more information.

If you want to work on any other IU campus, call us at 812-855-9086 to make an appointment with an international student advisor to discuss your options.

You can gain permission to work off campus if the job is in your field of study and integral to your academic objective. However, you must first get authorization from OIS.

If your DS-2019 was not issued by IU, you must contact your program sponsor before beginning employment.

Learn more about off-campus employment options

If you have a spouse or unmarried children under the age of 21, they can enter the United States in J-2 status. They can study full time and apply for work authorization from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Learn more about dependents

As a J-1 student, you have several options afer finishing your studies. However, you may be required to fulfill a two-year residency requirement after you complete your studies and any Academic Training.

Learn more about your post-completion choices